Visitor to Canada Travel Insurance
Planning a Trip to Canada?
Don’t forget to pack Visitor to Canada Travel Insurance for your trip to Canada!
If you are coming to Canada on a vacation, for work, or to immigrate permanently it is important that you make sure you are covered for emergency medical expenses. A Canadian Visitors Travel Insurance policy will accomplish this.
Who Should Buy Visitor to Canada Travel Insurance?
- Tourists to Canada - if you are coming for a vacation of any length, from just a few days to several months, make sure you have travel insurance for Canadian medical expenses. An illness, injury or other unexpected medical need while visiting could be quite costly.
- Working in Canada - just like a tourist, if you are coming to Canada to work it is important to prepare for unexpected medical expenses. As a foreign worker you can be covered by a provincial health plan if your employer writes a letter. The letter must prove that you are actively at work and you must have a valid work permit. If there is going to be any gap in this process I strongly suggest Visitor to Canada Travel Insurance until you are covered.
- Immigrating to Canada - If you are immigrating to Canada and waiting for coverage under a provincial health insurance plan it is a good idea to have emergency medical coverage while you wait.
- Canadian Citizens Returning to Canada - if you have been out of the country for a long time you might not have coverage under your provincial health insurance. Fill the gap with a visitors travel insurance policy
Visitor to Canada Travel Insurance Coverage
With Visitor to Canada travel benefits you will have coverage for “reasonable and customary expenses” after a medical emergency occurring in Canada (and possibly the United States). The following list is some of the coverage:
- Hospital ward accommodation
- Physicians fees
- Medical Appliances
- Nursing and paramedical care
- Diagnostic Services
- Prescription Drugs (as required in an emergency treatment)
- Dental Emergencies
- Return of deceased
Ask your broker for a copy of the policy for full coverage and full disclosure of the limitations and exclusions.
When to Buy?
It is important to investigate this coverage before coming to Canada or within days (or in some cases weeks) of arrival.
If you have any pre-existing conditions they need to be disclosed to the insurance broker so that the best product can be found. An insurance broker will help you find the best rate and coverage available.
Leave visitor to Canada Travel Insurance and return to Travel Insurance in Canada
Note: Keep in mind that insurance licensing, legislation, and policies often vary by province and most certainly by country. Canada Insurance Source is a free information source. So use this site to gain a general understanding of insurance with your own area and situation in mind. This insurance information is general in nature and the policy wordings always take precedence. It is possible that there are errors and omissions in this website and www.canada-insurance-source.com, or its authors, take no responsibility. Make sure you review the "please read" page.
Back to Canada-Insurance-Source home page for more Canadian insurance articles